IPVF Post-doc: Development of Tunnel Junctions for Tandem Solar Cells
Contract type: COD
Starting date: ASAP
Duration: 36 months
Working Place: Palaiseau
IPVF in brief
Become an actor of the Energy Transition by joining a team driven by innovation and impact to address today’s most decisive challenges.
IPVF – Institut Photovoltaïque d’Île-de-France, is a global Research, Innovation and Education center, which mission is to accelerate energy transition through science & technology.
Gathering industrial PV leaders (EDF, Total, Air Liquide, Horiba and Riber) and world-renowned academic research teams (CNRS, Ecole Polytechnique), multi-disciplinary and international IPVF teams conduct research for clean energy technologies.
IPVF at a glance:
- An ambitious Scientific and Technological Program: from tandem solar cell technologies to economy & market assessment, state-of-the art characterization, photocatalysis and concepts breakthrough.
- A state-of-the-art technological platform: more than 100 tools, located in cleanrooms (advanced characterization, materials deposition, prototypes for fabrication, modelling…).
- A high-standard Education program (M.S. and PhD students).
IPVF has launched the ambitious Program II for the development of tandem Silicon/perovskite (c-Si/PVK) solar cells. This technology appears to be one of the best solutions to increase the efficiency of PV panels by combining a well-known and optimized silicon solar cell with a high band gap thin film solar cell. Because of their tunable band gap and high efficiency, perovskite solar cells are a perfect top cell to be used in a tandem configuration. Among the several challenges raised by such architectures, the access to an efficient tunnel junction at the interface of the c-Si and perovskite solar cell stacking is essential in 2-terminal (2T) tandem.
The Postdoctoral Researcher will benefit from a multidisciplinary environment, IPVF expertise and have access to IPVF unique capabilities.
The candidate will directly report to the Deputy Programs Director of IPVF.
She/he will integrate a dynamic and talented team driven by innovation and results.
Within the Program II, the postdoctoral researcher will be in charge of:
- Developing tunnel junctions (nc:Si:H, polySi, a:Si:H, µc-SiOx…) by PECVD and/or ALD on suitable c-Si solar cells.
- Characterizing the developed junctions (electrically, chemically).
- Implementing processes for various c-Si technologies (HJT, PERC, IBC…)
- Contributing to the surface preparation of the c-Si (chemical polishing…).
- Supplying prepared samples to the perovskite team for 2T tandem device fabrication.
As an expert of c-Si technology for photovoltaics (PV), the candidate will also strongly contribute to the success of the other research and technological programs of IPVF that include c-Si solar cells by:
- Contributing in the benchmark of existing c-Si technologies for internal needs (prototyping, market studies, integration in modules…).
- Supporting the existing activities in edge passivation of c-Si.
- Acting as the technical support in collaboration with key industrial and academic players.
- Providing expertise on chemical surface polishing for other activities.
- Vacuum deposition.
- c-Si technology in PV.
- Advanced characterization.
- Hands-on experience with PECVD and ALD.
- Proficiency in c-Si devices in PV.
- Knowledge of Origin, Excel.
- Communication of results.
- Curious and enterprising.
- Organizational and collaborative skills.